The Mulberry Operation:
We are all responsible for the growing wasted resources and all the negative environmental, social or economical this causes; thereby, we are all concerned with finding remedies to this situation. In spite of many important initiatives in the field of whole building design or specialty industries, much remains to be done. Particularly in respect to industrial, commercial and institutional resource design, selection, specifications, building practices, operations and maintenance, policies.
Therefore, just as those responsible for the success of the Mulberry Harbours came together, we are asking you to be part of a vast team of determined visionaries, commited to sustainable development: meeting our current needs, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs’. Our ‘Mulberry’ will be to stop the reckless dumping of valuable resources, negatively impacting on our environment, economy and society.
With initiative, collaboration, and the refusal to accept that any problem exists without a solution, we can create our own harbours. And, with open minds, we should now be inspired by countries like Germany; where the construction and demolition (C&D) waste management is a mature and well integrated sub-industry, within the broader German construction market.
“In 2003, German construction and demolition acitivities generated 214 Megatonnes of waste composed of thwo thirds excavation material, mearly another third of building and road demolition wste and a smaller fraction of mixed construction site waste. Despite these high numbers, only 15% of this material was disposed of in landfills, while the remaining 85% was recovered and reused in further applications or recycled.
Germany’s high material, energy. labour and waste disposal costs favour the economics of recovering, reusing and recycling as much as C&D waste as possible. Additionally, strong waste management systems have been long required by laws and regulations at all levels of government in order to minimise the impact of C&D waste in the waste stream. More recent versions of these regulations focus on the complete material cycle, working towards a closed loop substnance cycle in construction and demolition, known as ‘Kreislaufwirtschaft’. This combination of regulatory pushes from government and economic pulls from the market have helped Germany establish an effective C&D waste management infrastructure. Furthermore, waste management and abatement prctices have been integrated into mainstream architectural and engineering education and practice. Architects and engineers designing and constructing buildings are obliged to consider the entire life cycle of materials, from production to removal, and reuse or recycling, of components they install in buildings….”**
In conclusion, we can only note that ‘free will is closely related to two other important philosophical issues: freedom of action, and moral responsibility’*** What actions will you take?
Will you join Mission 2030?