MISSION 2030 PLEDGE
With this document, our organization sets out a framework to build policies that will help our building industry sector to change how it views and deals with waste and recoverable resources.
Having reviewed the information provided by the Construction Resource Initiatives Council (CRI Council), we understand and share in the need for the following:
- A change strategy with a clear direction and vision of the objectives is necessary for the building industry
- Communication between all stakeholders is critical for strategic alignment
- Integration and education should be paramount to minimize change costs and maximize industry transformation
- Research and technology will help us make sound decisions on internal policies and support those by other decision makers affecting our sector
- Tools and support enabling stakeholders to fast track industry change
We are committed to doing all that is within our power and capabilities to support the Mission 2030 call to action and change initiative – aimed at eliminating the concept of building waste, within our sector, respecting the waste hierarchy.
Therefore, we will carefully consider all of our decisions in respect to building project delivery methodology; building and product design, practices, purchasing policies, operations and maintenance, in order to maximize the life cycle of all materials related to construction, renovation and demolition.
We make this pledge, understanding that:
- the transformation from our current industry project delivery models, policies and practices to those supporting a circular economy, that presents opportunities and challenges, which we must cease or address together, and as a whole in otder to miximize synergies, and minimize trade-offs
- the CRI Council is a start-up non-profit and non-partisan organization, and that we will not hold them, or any of their members responsible for any of the information provided on the web site, communication or otherwise, which may not meet our expectations
this is a collaborative effort with various views, and that Mission 2030 is in essence a ‘journey’ which will present unexpected factors, potentially requiring an adjustment of the targets, with the principle objective of engaging as many stakeholders as possible, to acknowledge their role and current waste generation – taking the first step
Organizations who have signed the Mission 2030 Pledge as of June-5-2013
- Brookfield Johnson Controls
- CSV Architects
- Canadian Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (CPCI)
- Econstruction Option
- Erskine Dredge and Associates Architects
- Greening Homes
- Merkley Supply, Ottawa
- Minto Communities
- Modern Niagara, Ottawa
- Sedun & Kanerva Architects Inc.
- GTA Canada Green Building Council
Note that a growing number of architects and other individuals are also signing the pledge